Summer! Woohoo! Time for picnics, family, sandals and fun. What are some essentials for making your picnic a carefree experience?
The ground blanket. Skip the blanket from your childhood that took home grass and dirt. Get a blanket designed to be thrown on the ground and sat upon. One side is a stain-resistant, water-resistant PVC. The other side is cloth. Many are machine washable. Some have closures and a handle to secure them after rolling them up. Easy to carry and won’t drag on the ground as you juggle all your stuff!
Cooler. But not just any cooler. Choose one with wheels and a pull handle, so you don’t have to carry it. Built-in cup holders on the top are a bonus.
Moist wipes. For wiping hands before and after. Wiping dishes and containers before repacking. Wiping whatever else gets dirty. Because something will!
Comfortable shoes. Wear your Durango sandals. They’re comfortable, cute, colorful and have bling! The Cheyenne has crackled leather, a wedge heel and is oh-so-comfortable…..
A great recipe. Turkey Cucumber Dill Sandwiches, courtesy of that classic recipe queen, Betty Crocker. (Be sure to keep these in the cooler.)
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise or salad dressing
- 1 tablespoon dried dill weed
- 8 slices multigrain bread
- 1/2 pound sliced cooked deli turkey
- 4 slices (1 ounce each) dill Havarti or Muenster cheese (Or whatever cheese you have. Don’t sweat it!)
- 16 thin slices cucumber
- 4 lettuce leaves
- Mix mayonnaise and dill weed. Spread on one side of each bread slice.
- Top 4 slices with turkey, cheese, cucumber and lettuce. Top with remaining bread.